Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

On Confidence





On the day I wore this outfit, I had 2 different random women say things to me that basically boiled down to "Cool outfit!  I would never have enough confidence to wear that!"  I never really know how to respond to comments like that.  I just said thanks and giggled awkwardly at one of them.  I told the other lady that she should try wearing something kind of crazy, because it is fun!  I don't think she will.  

A few random thoughts:
  • On the spectrum of confidence, I would put myself in the very average category.  I don't think it takes any confidence at all to wear neon purple tights.  As I was thinking about this, it reminded me of this post.  I think confidence is much like bravery (and most attributes that we consider positive).  It's not difficult for me to wear crazy colored tights, but for someone else, it might be terrifying.  But maybe they don't scream when they see a spider (not that I would ever do that). 
  • Since I spend so much time reading other fashion and style blogs, I now think it is super normal to wear sort of ridiculous outfits.  I can think of one person I know in real life who has worn crazy colorful tights (in a non-Halloween situation), but most of my blog friends were colorful tights on a regular basis.  
  • On a more serious note, it just made me kind of sad that both of these ladies seemed to think they weren't capable of branching out a bit.  I say wear whatever you want to, and don't worry about the crazy looks you may receive at the library.  
Other fashion bloggers, do you get crazy comments like this?  How do you respond?

The giveaway  is still open - don't forget to enter!

Sweater: Old Navy
Skirt: Bass Outlet
Tights: Old Navy
Shoes: BCBGeneration

No comments:

Post a Comment