Well, happy last day of 2015. I didn't meet my reading goal for the year, but that was somewhat expected. Babies really change your priorities when it comes to free time. Like, should I read a few chapters before I go to sleep? No. Kid could wake up at any moment! Sleep while you can!
I did manage to read 40 books this year. And let's be honest, if I wanted to cheat, I would just add all the kid books I read and I would get like 100+. If we count re-reads, probably thousands! And I think we can all agree about the literary value of Dr. Seuss. I might have to write a separate post about favorite kid books!
Anyway, what are we even talking about? Right, my favorite books of the year! Out of 40, I rated 10 of them as 5 stars. That's pretty good, or I'm not a very discriminating critic. Either way, I'm happy with it. I'm narrowing it down to my top 5, just because I do what I want.
In no particular order:
- We Were Liars - an unreliable narrator keeps you guessing as this mystery unfolds. It was definitely a book I couldn't put down. (my review here)
- The Girl on the Train - this was another one I couldn't put down. I just had to know what was going to happen! (my review here)
- Modern Romance - very interesting and funny. Mostly made me really happy I got married before dating got so complicated. (my review here)
- The Martian - cool concept, well-written. Sciency without being off-putting. I still need to see the movie (my review here)
- Why Not Me? - I kind of want to be best friends with Mindy Kaling. This book was just as funny as her previous one. I am a little mad at her TV show though, because some of the new episodes make me cry. (my review here)
Did you read anything good in 2015? Let me know and I will add it to my to-read list, which is completely out of control. At this rate, it would take me 6 years to get through it, and that's if I stop adding things!
Happy New Year's Eve! Stay safe tonight and have fun!