It's been a good year for reading! I read 63 books this year, and 12 of them were 5-star ratings for me on Goodreads. I think I'm getting better at picking books I will enjoy, and not just reading things that I think I should read. In no particular order, these are my favorite books of the year:
- The Rosie Project: quite possibly my favorite book of the year. So sweet. So funny. I'm impatiently waiting for the sequel, which should be available for me to pick up at the library any day now. (my review here)
- MaddAddam: the third book in this trilogy was my favorite, but you have to read the first and second ones first (which are also great). I need to read more of Margaret Atwood's books! (my review here)
- Orphan Train: I still can't believe this is based on real things that happened. The history and the main characters were quite captivating. (my review here)
- The Storied Life of AJ Fikry: this was recommended by a few people and they were right. Books about people who love books are quite lovely. (my review here)
- Big Little Lies: so much drama, but written in a way that seemed believable and interesting instead of obnoxious. (my review here)
- The Lost Wife: beautifully written account of such a sad time. I was shocked to read the author's note at the end that this was based on a true story. (my review here)
- Hyperbole and a Half: Allie Brosh is just hilarious. (my review here)
- One More Thing: I'm not normally into short stories, but these were witty enough to win me over. (my review here)
- The Eyre Affair: fun and nerdy, just what I like. (my review here)
- Ready Player One: the first book I read this year was an early favorite. Another nerdy plot that was just fun to read! (my review here)
- Beautiful Ruins: somehow, I didn't write a blog post reviewing this book. I read it back in June, and now I can't remember specifics about what I liked. But I gave it 5 stars, so it makes the list!
- We are Called to Rise: sad but beautiful. There was just enough closure that I wasn't mad at the end, but I still wanted a few more chapters to wrap things up. (my review here)
What were your favorite books of the year? Anything I should add to my ever-growing list?
Happy New Year's Eve! Be safe tonight and have fun. I'll probably skip posting tomorrow, and then be back at it for 2015. (Seriously, how is it 2015? We live in the future!)