Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Book Review - Eleanor & Park


At the end of February, my friend Brooke invited me to a book signing for Rainbow Rowell's new book, Eleanor and Park.  I felt a little weird going along, since I hadn't read her first book, but it sounded like something I would enjoy, so I went, thinking I wouldn't buy the book, but just borrow it from Brooke.  Then I felt like I should buy the book.  Then Ms. Rowell did a reading and answered some questions, and I was pretty sure I would love the book.  Then the signing portion started, and I felt awkward, because I didn't know what to say when I got up there.  No worries - she was SO NICE!  And for my readers who care about fashion, she was wearing really cool shoes, and complimented my outfit.



I left for vacation the next day, and already had a stack of books that I was taking along (and was worried about messing up my fancy signed copy), so I waited to read E&P until I got home.  I really liked it.  Here are some reasons why:
  • It is set in Omaha, so it was fun to know the area.
  • Rainbow Rowell was wonderful at the signing.  I liked her so much, that I already liked the book before I even started reading it.
  • Eleanor's hair look a lot like mine, only red.  
  • The main characters are weirdos (and not in the "Hollywood misfit" way where the girl is basically a supermodel wearing glasses who likes to read - but actual misfits, with real flaws and real problems).  I guess I just believe their story more than some teenagers.    
  • The ending - this was a love/hate.  It's kind of open to interpretation, but I suspect my interpretation is not what the author intended.  I'm just going to believe what I want to believe.
I also just read Attachments, and liked it even more than E&P.   I'll write up a post about that one soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment