Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Book Review - All the Light We Cannot See


I had All the Light We Cannot See on hold at the library for several months, and then it became available the first week of May.  I actually read a few chapters while I was at the hospital!  Then I was super interested in it, and managed to finish reading it the first week home from the hospital.  It's not really convenient to hold a heavy book while also holding a sleeping baby, so I've been relying on ebooks lately.

This is a really good book.  You should probably read it.  It follows a few different people during WWII  and how their stories come together.  It jumps back and forth in time a little bit, but not in a confusing way.  Spoiler - I think the ending was kind of confusing like where was the diamond?  How did Werner get the house and not have the diamond?  How would he even have known the stone was in the house??   But I did like how the ending wasn't entirely happy/expected.  I mean, I wanted Marie and Werner to find each other and get married, but I probably would have found that to be too cliche, so I just won't be happy either way.  

I'm not sure I'd recommend reading it when you are about to have or just recently had a baby. It's sort of upsetting to read about young boys in Nazi training camps when bringing your own precious baby into the world.


2 comments:

  1. This was one of my favorite books I read last year - glad to hear you got your hands on it finally! Though I know the issues of books/baby. Ebooks definitely the way to go for a while. The jumping between stories bothered me a little at first in this one because some of them were such short chapters and I wanted more story, but I thought as the book went on it really added to the overall experience, making it a page turner because I had to know how all the stories were going to crash together in the end... And I LOVED the characters (except that nasty Nazi guy of course).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one!! I've always been fascinated with the WWII era - sounds like a great read!!

    ReplyDelete