Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

First Grade Inspiration

My youngest niece is in first grade, and is a little fashionista.  Sometimes she asks her mom to send me pictures of her outfits.  Sometimes, I post them on the blog (here and here).  When my sister sent me a recent outfit picture, I just felt like I had to copy it.


I don't think I've ever worn my denim jacket over a chambray shirt, and I thought it was a fun idea. Plus I was anxious to wear my new maternity chambray top.


I even searched on Pinterest to see if this was an obvious combo I have missed, and couldn't find anything, so my niece is officially the pioneer of this idea.  As with any denim on denim, I think it's important to make sure your blues are different enough to provide a little contrast.  And if you are really cool (like the 6-year-old), a printed chambray and embellished jacket help keep things interesting.  If you aren't that cool (like me, for instance), maybe add a necklace and belt for a little shine!


I can't tell you where most of E's outfit is from, but her jacket is from the Annie collection at Target - I know this, because I bought it for her at Christmas.

I think my version would be a little better with my regular chambray popover, but it doesn't fit at the moment.  This maternity top is just a little too billowy and I think the proportions look kind of goofy.  I mean, I felt fine all day, but then looking at my pictures, I felt like it looked a little weird.  Also wrinkly, but this is real life!

Jacket: JCF
Chambray: Loft Maternity
Belt: Chinese Laundry
Skirt: Gap
Boots: Madden

6 comments:

  1. She is adorable! Love this mini-me moment :) And that you found a maternity chambray! I never did, and I missed wearing chambray so much... I bet you'll get tons of use of this, especially as spring approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely precious. A little fashionista in the making - and I love how spot on your outfit is compared to hers! I think when you're pregnant you can get away with a little billowy-ness. You look fab!
    Tea
    www.whatmamawear.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous of her polka dot chambray! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your niece is so cute! Did you think about trying this look over your new grey dress? I also agree that a shorter top would have probably worked better. Or maybe make yourself a few feet shorter and you two can be twins! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable little outfit! (Your niece is cute too haha.) You both wore it so well! From my experience, first grade outfits are to the extreme, either super extremely adorable, or crazy with tutus and patterned tights and character t-shirts haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is such a cute idea. She is adorable, and quite the fashionista, I love that! I definitely see some little girls these days and think wow...I would wear that outfit. Glad I'm not the only one :) I'm kinda surprised by how much I like the vest over the chambray!

    ♥ perfectly Priya

    ReplyDelete