Long story short, when I heard about the Minsgame that Break the Twitch, One Girl Two Cities, Simply Save, and SocialSara612 are hosting in November, I figured this would be a fun way to get jump started on de-cluttering my house. The basic plan is to get rid of things every day, with the number of things matching the day of the month. So November 1st, get rid of one thing, November 2nd, two things, and on and on. To be completely honest, these things aren't getting completely out of my house each day, but I'll be taking trips to Goodwill and selling things as quickly as I can.
I'll do weekly check-ins on the blog, sharing what I got rid of that week. Week one went as follows:
- TV - after searching for where I could donate or recycle this, I asked Facebook, and had 2 friends who wanted to take it! So I gave it to a new home.
- Wedding hats. Someone gave us these at our rehearsal dinner, and I've been holding on to them, but why?? I don't see any scenario where I would wear a Bride hat again.
- iPhone 5 Cases - don't need these anymore
- Kitchen canisters. I've used these for storing baking supplies for many years, but I don't bake that often, so the brown sugar was usually rock hard, and I never knew if something might be expired. I'm just going to stick with leaving ingredients in their normal packaging. Plus I have more counter space now!
- Flip flops and tights that I no longer want.
- Wine Glasses - For a couple who rarely drinks wine, we sure had a lot of wine glasses. I was happy to part with a few that we got for free at local wineries.
- (not pictured) Underwear - let's be honest, I do laundry often enough that I don't need a drawer overflowing with underthings.
- Belts/Sashes - these mostly came with dresses or shirts, and I never wear them.
So far, it's been pretty easy. The bigger number days might get trickier, but unfortunately, I think I have enough excess that it won't be too difficult selecting items to pitch. I'm hoping I'll be able to sort through my closet in the next week or so and get rid of some things.