Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Awkward Dress


 



Take One, Pass It On Item:  black belt from last Friday (not that you can see it!)

I bought this dress in January, and immediately tore off the tags, and it has hung in my closet for over a month, not being worn.  I'm pretty sure this was a wrong decision for me to purchase.  In my defense, I was distracted by the polka dots and didn't realize that this "dress" is a super awkward length for me.  I'm sure on a regular person, it is an appropriate length (evidence).   On me, it is too short to wear as a dress, even with tights, but it is just a little bit too long to be a shirt.  I'm not really a leggings person, so that's a no-go as well.

The outfit above is my attempt at styling this difficult item, and I am not 100% sold on this look.  Plus, I think I would get tired of wearing it over all of my different colored pencil skirts.  Do any of you have ideas for how I can make this work?  Right now, my best idea is to chop a couple of inches off the bottom, but there's a decent chance I would just ruin it.  Fashion blogger SOS!

Dress: Old Navy
Belt and Skirt: Limited
Boots: Target

5 comments:

  1. You could maybe tuck it in your skirts and turn it into a shirt? It's too cute not to keep! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would look cute over skinny jeans... but if you wanted to shorten it a little bit without actually cutting it you could sew some elastic along the side seams at the bottom to ruche it up a bit... that wouldn't change the look too much and would bring it up to a more normal tunic length?

    Aside from that I think it looks really cute over your coloured skirt!

    Tea.
    talkandtealeaves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know nothing about sewing, so I would just bo-jank it up and safety pin the bottom sides to the middle-ish sides. Super cute, I know. If I were extra motivated, I might try to find a tailor to see if they could do something about it. Otherwise I'd try pairing it with skinny jeans or wear under a sleeveless dress? Hm. Tough pickle. I'm sure you know the answer to this one, otherwise you wouldn't have taken the tags off, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry-- that last remark wasn't meant to be sassy... I just meant that I believe we have reasons for everything we do, so there is a reason you took the tags off. I have no idea what that reason is, and it may not be obvious to you right now, but maybe you had an idea of how you envisioned wearing it and you just can't access that idea right now. Ugh. I just came from a philosophy talk on belief and knowledge so I'm still in that mode. Hit me now.

      Delete
  4. I tried that on at Old Navy and probably stared at myself in the mirror for 5+ minutes trying to figure it out. I almost bought it, but then decided against it last minute. It was a weird length on me too! Too short for a dress, too long for a shirt!

    ReplyDelete