Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Confessions of a Gap-oholic

They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, so here it goes:

I think I have a slight addiction to Gap Sales. 

I've shopped at Gap pretty regularly ever since I was in high school, and they just have really good sales sometimes!  Now that my sister works there, it's even worse.  On Christmas Eve, we went to the mall to say hi, and my other sister wanted to do some shopping at other stores.  Well, of course we just looked around at Gap a little bit.  I bought 2 things that day:

Purple Skirt - $20 (originally $50)
Printed Pocket Tee - $6 (originally $23)

Then on the day after Christmas, we went back to the Gap so my sister could return a shirt (which she forgot to bring), and so I could get my purchases from the previous trip price adjusted to the better sale prices (I think I got about $5 back).  Well, they were having an additional 50% off all sale items, and I just had to take a look around.  I ended up spending about $63 on 1 pair of shoes, 1 pair of jeans, and 5 tops. 

Black Ankle Strap Peep Toes - $12.50 (originally $60)
Gray Jeans -  $14 (originally $70)
Gray Floral Sweater - $9 (originally $60)
Yellow henley - $5 (originally $20)
Pocket Tee(Rosamunde) - $6 (originally $23)
Printed Top (seen here)- $8 ((originally $50)
Striped tank (not online, or on this blog yet)- $4 (originally $40)

If you figure tax, that means I got $424 worth of stuff for  $84.  Pretty good deal, right!  I mean, 80% off the original prices.  But it also means I spent $84 at the Gap on stuff I really didn't need. 

Anyway, it got me thinking that I might have a bit of a shopping problem.  I'd been thinking about taking a break from shopping, but hadn't made any real decision on it.  So, I think I'm going to do it.  It's going to be one of the weakest shopping bans ever, but I think I'll try to go 3 months without traditional shopping.  I'm giving myself some cheats:
  1. I can use gift cards.  I have one to Dillards and one to Loft.  If anyone wants to send me gift cards to anywhere else, I'll accept donations!  (Just kidding, unless you really want to)
  2. I'm allowed to shop at Goodwill and other thrift stores.  I'm not much of a thrifter, but I would like to be, so this will hopefully make me branch out a bit.  I'm also hoping to find really cheap items that I can refashion somehow.  
  3. I'm allowed to buy fabric to make things.  Not sure how much of this I will do, but I wanted to put it on the list. 
  4. There are a few things on my shopping list that I've been looking for forever.  If I happen upon a great deal on any of these items, I'm going to cheat.  (black flats and a watch are 2 I can think of right now).
So, there it is!  My super lame 3 month no shopping rule.  Is it April yet??

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I just hit up the Gap the other night, and was sucked into their sales as well. Good luck on your shopping hiatus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had to show some major self-control a few times since Christmas! I've been trying not to go in there as often, but did manage to snag a couple tops and a pair of work pants on major clearance.

    Good luck on your shopping ban! I'm kind of trying to do the same, but I made a wish list of items I'd really like in effort to not add as much that I just think is okay. I'm eager to keep up on how it goes for you!

    ReplyDelete