Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Book Review - What the Dog Saw


When I was in college, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do with my life, so I majored in Business Administration at first.  Second semester of my Freshman year, I took an Honor's Marketing class and absolutely loved it.  My teacher was amazing, and I just thought it was all so interesting.  In hindsight, I think it was interesting to me mostly because the teacher was so great.  I changed my major to marketing, and ended up in a career that is somewhat marketing related, so it all worked out.  Anyway, this class was when I first read something by Malcolm Gladwell.  We read The Tipping Point, and I was hooked.  I read and loved both Blink and Outliers.  I just think it is so interesting how he looks at things.

In 2011, I picked up What the Dog Saw and Other Adventures at the library, but I had several other books going, and I ran out of time before I had to return it, so I only read about 100 pages.  On our drive out to Indy over Thanksgiving, John and I listened to the audiobook, and (believe it or not) I loved it!      

What the Dog Saw is a compilation of 19 of Gladwell's articles from the New Yorker.  There are 3 sections of the book, but each chapter is a stand-alone article.  The first part was my favorite.  It's about the "Minor Geniuses" of the world.  I find people more interesting than things, so it makes sense that I enjoyed these chapters more.

I'd definitely recommend this book, especially to anyone who is interested in psychology/sociology and business.   


No comments:

Post a Comment