Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Book Review - The American Heiress


The American Heiress was the February book club selection for the Literary Junkies.  I seriously love this book club!  It is just a great group of ladies, and I love discussing books, so it's pretty much perfect. 

This book was not so perfect.  The main character is American Cora "Cash" (get it, she's rich?), who has an overbearing mother who wants her daughter to have an English title.  So they go over to England and look for a Duke that she can marry.  Shockingly, money can't buy happiness, so there are many things that go wrong.

The beginning is very slow.  It does get a little bit more interesting as the story goes on, but I kept expecting something more to happen.  I thought Cora was pretty obnoxious throughout the book.  She is described as an intelligent woman with many talents, but I mostly noticed her being rich and complaining about things.

The ending was also very unsatisfying.  I didn't feel like anything was really resolved.  (Spoiler)  (After some pretty serious accusations, with ample evidence to back them up, Cora just believes the fairly unbelievable story that her husband offers up, and they pretend everything is fine.) 

My favorite character by far was Cora's maid, Bertha.  Her storyline was way more interesting to me, and even made me cry at one point (shameful admission, I know).  I also felt like her story wasn't really wrapped up at all.  I am going to go ahead and assume everything works out perfectly for her.


Have you read this book?  What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment